How do I get the estimated block model grade on my planned drilling via. the drilling prognoses tool

Using the drilling prognoses tools the leapfrog3d help segment suggests that planned drill holes can be evaluated against a block model: Planning Drillholes (leapfrog3d.com) There are two columns shown there, Au and GM. 

I have planned drill holes and I need to create a table of the approximate lithology and grade (from our block model) the drill holes will produce. I can get the GM to evaluate, but do not understand how to get assay grade incorporated.

Best Answer

• ByronTaylor
    ByronTaylor Posts: 2 mod
    Answer ✓
    Hello all, this sounds like it would be an excellent workflow and as such - I have now taken this idea and added it to the system for assessment. This was not something in development as yet, this is very much something new to the Leapfrog Product Manager (me!).

Once we start to look into this from an actual development side and planning - I hope you would all be willing to spend a small amount of time and share your needs and expectations, so we can ensure we design something fit for market.

Cheers
    Byron
    Product Manager - Geological Solutions

Answers

• Currently, you can't get those grades evaluated into the planned drill holes. What you can do is to evaluate the estimators into planned holes (but will not be exactly the same from block model)
  • Currently, you can't get those grades evaluated into the planned drill holes. What you can do is to evaluate the estimators into planned holes (but will not be exactly the same from block model)
    Ah this looks like it could be a decent workflow but I do not have the EDGE extension, I'll have to try and get a trial version maybe and see if this works for what we need it for. Thank you!
  • pauljensen1
    pauljensen1 Posts: 10
    Are there plans to allow back-coding block values onto planned drillholes?  When you have 150 estimators across a block model, evaluating single estimators onto a planned drillhole set is excessively cumbersome.
  • Are there plans to allow back-coding block values onto planned drillholes?  When you have 150 estimators across a block model, evaluating single estimators onto a planned drillhole set is excessively cumbersome.
    Paul  - I spoke with a Leapfrog Geo/Edge rep that told me evaluated / back-flagging block values onto planned drillholes is currently in development. However, as always, it is qualified with the comment of the never ending developing requests, so there is no telling when we'll see this. 
  • pauljensen1
    pauljensen1 Posts: 10
    Thank you - I'd be happy to participate.
  • Once we start to look into this from an actual development side and planning - I hope you would all be willing to spend a small amount of time and share your needs and expectations, so we can ensure we design something fit for market.
    Would love to help!
  • A quick and dirty way that recently worked for me, with EDGE and a regular block model:

1. Export block model centroids and grade to csv, and then re-import them as 'points'
    2. Create a Nearest Neighbor estimator using imported Block Model centroids as samples. 
    3. Composite a drillhole table to a length equal to your blocksize
    4. Export composite table as csv with mid interval coordinates
    5. Re-import composite table as 'points'. This is better, since the 'extract interval mid-points' feature does not preserve from-to information (feature request!).
    5. Evaluate composite centroids the Nearest Neighbor estimator. 
    6. Export composite point table with the evaluation.

Now you have an interval table with block model grades.

If you don't have EDGE, I guess using a RBF interpolant instead of Nearest Neighbor would do the trick. You could use smaller intervals and composite AFTER evaluation, to account for volume-variance relationships, but I have not tried it.

If you spot any geostatiscal heresy in this, please let me know!

Cheers,

Ramón.
  • Hi Michael In the new version of Leapfrog/Edge you could evaluate your estimator in your planned drill holes.

• JulioSaphire
    JulioSaphire Posts: 1 Calcite Rank Badge
    edited April 2023
    I'm fairly new here too, but I'll try to help you. I'm not sure if I understand your question correctly, but it seems like you're having trouble getting the assay grade incorporated into your table. Have you tried contacting the developers of the leapfrog3d tool or looking for tutorials online? Maybe there's a step-by-step guide out there that can help you with this specific issue. Additionally, have you considered using any drilling rigs for your planned drilling? In the long run, you may need cat 3 facility inspection services. They may have their own tools and software that could help you with your analysis.