Import a 3D photogrammetry model into LF

Options

Hello, I’m trying to import a 3D model from Agisoft Metashape (photoscan) to LF.

I’ve tryed to import the dense cloud points and asign the colors to each point but it didn’t work. I’ve uploaded a obj model as a mesh, it is loaded but I cant import the texture. Apparently only ireg files (texture vulcan format) can be imported (in previous versions at least jpg or png format was allowed).

So…Wich is the best workflow to import a 3d photogrammetry model to leapfrog Geo version 4.4 or newer?

Thanks a lot!

Luciano

Comments

• anthony.reed
    Options
    Hi Luciano,
    OBJ is the best format, the texture will import automatically IF it is not too large and the MTL file is also present. Seequent will need to remind us of the max pixel dimensions of the texture. us the ‘split in chunks’ tool in metashape to tile a pointcloud so that the files are not too large for leapfrog.
  • StefanVollgger
    Options

Hi Luciano,

The best way to get your 3D photogrammetric model generated with Agisoft Metashape into Leapfrog is by exporting the model as an OBJ file. Note that the obj file is accompanied by a *.JPG file and *.MTL file which have the same name as your OBJ file. The OBJ file includes the mesh, the JPG file includes the texture and the MTL file is a so called material file which describes how the texture is applied to the mesh. Therefore, to be able to have a textured mesh in Leapfrog you have to make sure that all 3 files (obj, jpg & mtl) are in the same folder when you import the OBJ mesh file into Leapfrog.
    Depending on how you’ve generated your texture in Metashape, you might end up with multiple (smaller) texture files for a single OBJ mesh. Leapfrog has no problems to import OBJ meshes with multiple textures assigned to it.

Please make sure that the coordinate reference systems (CRS) you have chosen in Metashape during export matches the CRS that you are using in your Leapfrog project.

All the best.

Best regards,
    Stefan

P.S. In case you want to analyse/modify the dense point cloud, I suggest to use CloudCompare (free & open-source).

• anthony.reed
    Options
    I’m finding file name makes a hell of a difference. keep names veery short, no spaces or special characters (underscores ok). There is actually support for multi file textures in Geo, so i use a 20 file jpg texture for each mesh. good detail. but only imports with simple filenames