Is it possible to export cross section to FEM software such as Plaxis.

Options
Hello,

I am trying to export cross-sections generated by LeapfrogWorks into Plaxis 2D. I have evaluated the objects on my cross-section and I noticed that when I export them as .dfx, separate files are created and none of these files was able to be used in Plaxis 2D. 
I hope somebody might have an answer or a guideline on how can I solve this problem.

All best,
Keivin

Answers

• ScottGallacher
    Options
    Interested to know the process others may have to do this too
  • SimonRoth
    Options
    This seems to be still a open problem. I put a support-request because we want to use Leapfrog-model in Plaxis 3D.
  • RichardLowries
    RichardLowries Posts: 9 mod
    edited January 2023
    Options
    Hi All,

Cross sections can be exported from Leapfrog to Plaxis 2D in a dxf format. When exporting from Leapfrog you need to use the 2D Analysis Tab in the export sections dialogue to translate the section to a 0,0 origin and also simplify the line work.

Some software such as GeoStudio allows you to do the translation and simplification on import. In those cases, it is preferable to use the software's tools as it can make it easier when exporting results back to Leapfrog for visulisation. GeoStudio will reapply the same translation to any tiffs exported so that they are in the same 3D space. 

Simplification sets a minimum allowable distance between nodes along the volume outlines. Increasing the Minimum spacing setting reduces the number of nodes included but can result in loss of detail.

Each Leapfrog model or surface evaluation will be exported as a separate dxf file and can be renamed in the General tab.

If you have any pain points with your workflow when importing to Plaxis 2D, please reach out to Seequent Support.

Thanks,
    Richard