how to make 2D line plot with vary value depend on the third value

Hi all, I have a X, Y, D file, X, Y is the lat and lot, D is the third value. I'm trying to plot the 2d line with the varying color depends on the value of Z (e.g. see the attached picture), could anyone suggest a good way to do this in Geosoft? I'm hoping to add the line plot to my existing Geosoft map. Thank you!

Comments

• BeckyBodger
    BeckyBodger Posts: 337 mod
    Hi @weiwei, we can do something similar to that using the Geostatistical Toolkit and the Scatter Analysis. You need the Geophysics or Geochemistry Extension to access the Geostatistics Toolkit. The resulting plot is a symbol plot and not a solid line, so it looks best if you have continuous data.
    1. Database Tools > Geostatistics Toolkit > Scatter Analysis.

2. Select your Horizontal/X axis data (I used fiducial channel so that it resembles the profile plot in database), and Vertical/Y axis data (Mag channel in my example).
    3. Select Zone coloured symbols and select the 3rd channel to colour the profile plot with as the Zone channel.
    4. Click Define colours and click a linear distribution (you may have to play around with these colours a bit to get the best option for your data).
    5. If the points in your scatter plot are all grey click the "Select all points" button to make them active.

6. Finally click the Plot the Scatter plot to a map button to display the whole diagram on your map.

Community Manager

• BeckyBodger
    BeckyBodger Posts: 337 mod
    Another option is to use Colour Zone symbols:
    1. Change the XY coordinates in your database to be the x-axis and Y-axis of your plot. In my example x = fiducial, y = mag.
      Coordinates > Set Current XYZ Channels.
    2. Create a new map from XY.
      Map Tools > New Map > New Map from XY.
    3. Display Colour Zone symbols.
      Map Tools > Symbols > Zone Coloured.
      You can pick the colour table you want to use, the symbols and symbol size.
      *You may want to turn off the symbol edge colours.
    4. Display base map to give it a surround and titles.
      Map Tools > Base Map > Draw Base Map.

Community Manager

• weiwei
    weiwei Posts: 7 Calcite Rank Badge

Another option is to use Colour Zone symbols:

1. Change the XY coordinates in your database to be the x-axis and Y-axis of your plot. In my example x = fiducial, y = mag.
      Coordinates > Set Current XYZ Channels.
    2. Create a new map from XY.
      Map Tools > New Map > New Map from XY.
    3. Display Colour Zone symbols.
      Map Tools > Symbols > Zone Coloured.
      You can pick the colour table you want to use, the symbols and symbol size.
      *You may want to turn off the symbol edge colours.
    4. Display base map to give it a surround and titles.
      Map Tools > Base Map > Draw Base Map.

The second option with color zone symbol works well for my problem! Now I can plot the 2D line with actual number on top of my map :) Thank you so much, @BeckyBodger !
This discussion has been closed.