how to make a rectangular map of polar region

Options
Hi all, I'm wondering how to make a rectangular map of Antarctica region with Lat and Lon labeled. When I first created the Map, I used the Lat and Lon limit to define the specific region that I'm interested in Antarctica, but it will give me a conic shape of map. If I created the map by defining the X and Y limit (from the Polar Stereographic coordinates), it does give me a rectangular shape of map, but it won't label the map boundary with Lat and Lon. Any comment or suggestion is appreciated!

Comments

• BeckyBodger
    BeckyBodger Posts: 337 mod
    Options
    Hi @weiwei, did you try to create a map from XY but select your Lat/longs? Create map from XY does not mean you only have to select a projected coordinate system, you can also create a lat/long (geographic) map using this option. If that doesn't solve the problem can you share with us your extents in lat/long so we can test it out?
    Community Manager

• weiwei
    Options

Hi @weiwei, did you try to create a map from XY but select your Lat/longs? Create map from XY does not mean you only have to select a projected coordinate system, you can also create a lat/long (geographic) map using this option. If that doesn't solve the problem can you share with us your extents in lat/long so we can test it out?

Thank you! I still didn't figure out how to make the rectangular map. Could you help test with
    Lon from -113 to -135 and lat from -73 to -76, it's a region from West Antarctica.
  • BeckyBodger
    BeckyBodger Posts: 337 mod
    Options
    Hi @weiwei, a square map of such a big region in the antarctic might be a misrepresentation of the data. I created the following map with Lat/Long displayed:

I wasn't sure which projection method you are using, but it will have an impact on how conical or square the map turns out to be. You could try a lambert conformal conic projection with two parallels, but you will probably need to define it yourself. Or if you are working with others, check to see which projection method they are using, and I can help you define a custom one if needed.

To get the lat/longs to show up on your map when you are using a projected coordinate system you display a base map (Map Tools > Base Map > Draw Base Map > Next) and for Lat/long annotations select what sort of lines you want to display for the reference grid. In my example I turned off the main reference grid (the XY) and only displayed the lat/long as solid lines:

Community Manager

This discussion has been closed.