Using known depth to basement data as a constraint in structural inversion?

Options
NickM
NickM Posts: 5
edited November 2023 in Oasis montaj

Greetings,

I have performed a structural inversion of a basin using residual complete Bouguer anomaly data to determine the depth to basement. Subsequently, I have obtained new data from a number of wells drilled in the area. Can I edit my original inversion model utilizing the new data I have obtained from the wells to create a refined depth to basement model? If so, what would be the best course of action to follow?

Cheers

Answers

• FarzanehFarahani1
    Options

Hello NickM,

Thanks for tor interest in using Oasis montaj. Assuming you are using GM-SYS 3D, definitely you can use the known depth. You should create a new version of your basement horizon that incorporates the depths from the well data, and create a constraint grid that contains the well locations. You should then re-run the structural inversion.

To understand how to do this, please read through the "Inversions and constraints" section of the GM-SYS 3D learning path https://my.seequent.com/learning/527/534/571

Please don't hesitate to contact Seequent support if you have any further questions.

• NickM
    Options

Thank you for the answer Farzaneh! Glad to hear there is a way to do this. That being said, what is the best way to "create a new version of your basement horizon that incorporates the depths from the well data"? How do i edit this surface to match the known depths exactly?

• FarzanehFarahani1
    Options

Hi Nick,

Thank you- you would need to create a new version of your basement horizon that incorporates the depths from the well data, and create a constraint grid that contains the well locations. You should then re-run the structural inversion.

If you reviewed the Advanced modeling under the online training here: MySeequent and were not able to edit your model, please submit a Support Request here: MySeequent

Thanks,

Farzaneh

• NickM
    Options

Hello Farzaneh,

Thank you again. Just to clarify, I would first need to run a structural inversion to determine depth to basement, then I would have to go through the advanced modeling routine to then alter the depth to basement based on the well data, and then create a constraints grid at those well locations and re-run the structural inversion based on the edited depth to basement grid that I made? There is no way to introduce the well data and depths in the initial buildup to the original structural inversion to avoid doing this long drawn out and complicated editing session to get the well data and depth incorporated into the model?

Nick

• FarzanehFarahani1
    Options

Hello Nick,

You are very welcome, regardless of whether you have already run a structural inversion or not, the basement grid would need to be constructed/edited to include the well data and a corresponding constraint grid would still need to be created. There are some interactive model editing options in GM-SYS 3D, but these do not directly modify a grid based on new well data.

This discussion has been closed.