Will Python extensions slowly become deprecated?

Options

Some issues that would consider pretty serieus are raised in this forum (example) and on gxpy Github. Some seem to have pretty easy solution (e.g. https://github.com/GeosoftInc/gxpy/issues/128).

There doesn't seem to be any reaction from Geosoft on any of the serieus issues.

Is it still a good idea to create Oasis Extensions or will python extensions slowly become deprecated?

Tagged:

Comments

• KaterynaMiniailo
    Options

Hi Victor,

I'd like to confirm that there are no plans to deprecate the Python extension. We are consistently releasing updates for GX Developer with every Oasis montaj release.

I took a brief look at the issues you mentioned, and it seems that some of them might be due to missing Python libraries or outdated versions (e.g., this issue). Others have suggested workarounds available and a few indeed appear to be genuine issues that should be added to our backlog. I will forward the latter category to the development team and prioritize them alongside other Oasis montaj requests.

Is there a specific issue that you believe is critical and preventing you from using the extension?

• VictorSavenije
    Options

Thanks for the response,

I think it's important to

1) show that reported issues are actually read and understood by leaving some response on at least the important issues

2) to make sure that gxpy keeps working on newer versions of it's dependencies (e.g. https://github.com/GeosoftInc/gxpy/issues/128), which should require minimal updating.

• KaterynaMiniailo
    Options

Hi Victor,

Thank you for bringing this to our attention. We understand the need for transparency and communication with our community. At Seequent, we often prioritize issues reported through our support system, treating the Community primarily as a platform for users to share best practices.

However, recognizing the importance of engagement on the Community, we will aim to regularly review threads and provide status updates, ensuring our users are informed.

If there's a pressing concern or issue you'd like addressed promptly, please do reach out to our support team for a more immediate response.

Regarding the Numpy library update concern you've highlighted, that it's been logged into our development system and is slated for review in the upcoming GX Developer 2023.2 release, which is expected around December-January. We truly value your feedback and will strive to continuously enhance our platforms and processes.