Evaluating geologic models against cross sections/fences on extruded meshes?

Options
RohitWarrier
RohitWarrier Posts: 4 Calcite Rank Badge
edited July 2023 in Leapfrog
Hello! I'm in the process of validating several geologic models using cross-sections from PDF reports. Thanks to LFW's training video, I am familiar with the concept of representing a PDF cross section on an extruded mesh but I cannot seem to figure out a way to evaluate a geologic model against an extruded mesh. I am familiar with evaluating models against linear fences (linear images) but this is not helpful as the area I am working on has large topographical variations and a linear fence is not an accurate representation.

Does anyone know how to evaluate a geologic model against an extruded mesh surface? 

Answers

• KathrynGall
    KathrynGall Posts: 32 mod
    Options
    Hi, 

It is not possible to evaluate a geological model against a mesh within Leapfrog. 
    Your best option would be to create a cross-section in a similar location to the extruded mesh. Then evaluate the geological model against the cross-section. If you use a long section, you may be able to use a polyline that follows close to the boundary of the extruded mesh. While you cannot have a closed loop for a long section, if you stop the polyline short of closing the loop, you can get pretty close. 

You can read more on Long Sections here: https://help.seequent.com/Geo/2023.1/en-GB/Content/presentation/long-sections.htm?Highlight=long section

Alternatively, if you are looking to extract a small area of a geological model (GM), this could be done using the Combined Model functionality. 
    The steps for this would be 
    1. Create a new GM
    2. Set a lateral extent for this GM using the extruded Mesh. There is no need to build any lithologies here. 
    3. Create a create a combined model of the original GM and the new GM that represents the extruded mesh. 

You can read more on combined models here: https://help.seequent.com/Geo/2023.1/en-GB/Content/combined-models/combined-models.htm?Highlight=combined model