Can you use Leapfrog viewer when you are offline?

Options
JurgenFuykschot
JurgenFuykschot Posts: 1
edited July 2021 in Leapfrog
Before the merge, the viewer did not require a license, which is great when your clients want to have a quick look at the model. Why is this now introduced and is there any way to open the viewer when you are in the field and do not have internet (yes, that still happens)

Comments

• ByronTaylor
    ByronTaylor Posts: 2 mod
    Options

I'll try to bring some light on the main reasons why the Leapfrog Viewer has been merged within the main Leapfrog product and how it has been seen to now be under "lock and key".

Having Leapfrog Viewer under a sign in allows for future planning of functionality when it's under the same access, it will also work as an added security level on the end user side.

It also allows us to better understand who uses the software, at least in numbers, meaning we can better plan future features. And since the entire Leapfrog package is now consolidated it means we can better allocate resources where it matters for both the modeler and the viewer. Such as a future rework of the graphics rendering.

On selecting Viewer you can choose to take a 30 day period of access, if you are solely using Viewer, else if you are modelling with say Geo, you can view all the same Viewer files at the same time, in the same package. The initial checkout of the 30 day period does however require internet access to achieve.

I hope this helps a little to understand why this merger was made.

Cheers
    Byron

Product Manager - Geological Solutions

• DavidWladis
    Options
    And what happens after the 30 day access period? I have used the Leapfrog Viewer for years to see what my clients are up to. I also urged them to use Leapfrog for simplicity in communications. The earlier policy with free, easy to download was a simple solution. Now you are heading in the same direction as Bentley and their viewer for CAD drawings with logins, eternal software updates, server communication issues etc. 
  • JamesLally
    JamesLally Posts: 26 Calcite Rank Badge
    Options
    I agree with David's comment. Whatever the reasons for the change are, it has made the viewer less accessible. It is also incredibly annoying that an internet connection is required to login to the viewer.
  • MySeequent had a built-in browser viewer which the modeler exported with a click of a button directly from the Leapfrog Geo by choosing any of the saved scenes.

Leapfrog Viewer + Browser combo was the ultimate accessibility for non-technical people.
    Now we have to convince them to download a 500+mb installer, create an account, and initiate a 30-day trial. Just to have them look at a single scene.

Shame they had to make it unnecessarily out of reach when it was tried and true method even for getting a second opinion from coworkers who use different software (or non-geologists).