How to turn off floating windows - New to 9.2

BeckyBodger
BeckyBodger Posts: 337 mod
Have you tried using floating windows in Geosoft? Instead of stretching the main Oasis montaj window across multiple monitors, you can drag just your map, database, or grid onto a second monitor. While I love this floating document feature when I'm working with multiple monitors, sometimes I am only working on my laptop with a single tiny screen! Floating windows are not always helpful with limited screen real estate. In 9.2 we've added an advanced setting that lets you turn off floating windows, so there's no accidental undocking of maps, grids, or databases!

1. From the Settings menu, select Global Settings and click Advanced.
2. In the Metadata Tool Select UI Settings and change Allow Floating Document Windows from True to False.

Community Manager

Tagged:

Comments

• PhilipSuttak
    PhilipSuttak Posts: 23 Staff
    Awesome feature if you are using just one monitor, I hate losing maps.
    Product Manager
    Geosoft logo
  • AdamKroll
    AdamKroll Posts: 1 Calcite Rank Badge
    I don't have the UI settings in the metadata option. If a database or map starts floating how do you stop that individual database or map from floating?
  • BeckyBodger
    BeckyBodger Posts: 337 mod
    Hi @AdamKroll, What version are you using? To check, go to Help and click About.
    Community Manager

• So if I accidentally undocked a map how do I dock it back in?
  • PhilipSuttak
    Hello Todd,

We have outlined how to dock and undock windows from the main window in our knowledge base article linked below:

https://my.geosoft.com/supportcentre#/help/oasismontaj-interface-om_multiple_monitors.htm

Regards,

Philip
    Product Manager
    Geosoft logo
  • Phillip,

In the provided link I only see how to undock the window. I do not see a way to redock the window from the article unless I'm missing something

Todd
  • PhilipSuttak
    Hello Todd,

I apologize. To re-dock a window, you will make sure the main Oasis montaj window is open and then open your second undocked window. You will then click and hold your mouse on the top of the undocked window, like you are going to move it. You will see 5 blue anchor points appear in the main window. All you will have to do is drag your mouse to one of those points and when the point is highlighted, you can let go of the mouse. This will dock the window.

Regards,

Philip
    Product Manager
    Geosoft logo
This discussion has been closed.