Can't get geodist.dll to load

DavidHatch
DavidHatch Posts: 6 Calcite Rank Badge
edited May 2023 in Oasis montaj
I have installed Gx Developer 9.1 and Winpython 3.5.2 and have carefully gone through (and repeated) the installation instructions. When trying to validate the install I get the message shown in the attached image. I have carefully checked path and environment variables. I have put the geosoft directory in the site-packages directory of winpython.

Thanks,
Dave

Comments

• Sorry, I can't see how to attach a file. From the cmd line I launched wnpython 3.5.3 and entered the following:
    import geosoft.gxpy.gx as gx
    gxp=gx.GXpy()

I get a dialogue box with the message:
    Geosoft: Error loading Geodist.dll- C:\Program FIles (x86)\Geosoft\Oasis montaj\bin\geodist.dll. May be missing a goeosft.key file or the key file is incorrect.

The geodist.dll and geosoft.key files are in the directory above. THe geosoft.key file has one line "Oasis montaj"

Thanks
  • Hi David,

Do you have 9.1 Oasis montaj or Oasis montaj viewer installed? Inside the site-packages\geosoft directory is a geosoft.key file which has one line. This entry is the key name to the registry for your Oasis montaj installation (ie. HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Geosoft\Core). With a valid installation of Oasis montaj or Oasis montaj viewer you should be able to run the commands without errors.

Regards,
    Joseph
  • Hi Joseph,
    I do have version 9.1 installed and the geosoft.key has only one word "core". I checked in C:\Users\david.hatch\AppData\Local\Continuum\Anaconda3\Lib\site-packages\geosoft and the geosoft.key says "core". I don's see the environment/path variable HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\geosoft . Do I need to set this?

Thanks

David
  • Hi David,

Can you verify this key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Geosoft\Core exists using Registry editor? Under this key should be another key named "Environment", where it has values which shows the installation folder for your Desktop Applications (ie. Oasis montaj).

It could be an incompatible installation of Oasis montaj. Can you verify that the error message points to "C:\Program FIles (x86)\Geosoft\Oasis montaj"? This could be the issue because that is the 32 bit install folder of an older version. Starting in version 9.0, the default installation of Desktop Applications (ie. Oasis montaj) is "C:\Program Files\Geosoft\Desktop Applications 9".

Regards,
    Joseph
  • HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Geosoft\Core exists and Environment is under this key. Under the core key there is no value set. Under Environment there are a number of values set. The error that I am still seeing has the same message as before "Geosoft: Error loading Geodist.dll- C:\Program FIles (x86)\Geosoft\Oasis montaj\bin\geodist.dll. May be missing a goeosft.key file or the key file is incorrect." I put the latest version of geodist.dll in this directory but still get the same error.
  • Upgrading to the latest version of Montaj and resetting the path and environment variables to C:\Program Files\Geosoft\Desktop Applications 9 solved this issue.

Thanks Joseph
This discussion has been closed.